What is a paupiette of fish ?
Paupiette cuts of fish are thin slices of fish that are rolled or folded around a filling and then baked or poached.
How to make a paupiette of fish ?
- To make a paupiette cut of fish, you will need:
- A whole fish, gutted and scaled
- A sharp knife
- Filling of your choice (such as herbs, breadcrumbs, and/or vegetables)
- Lay the fish flat on a cutting board and make a cut down the center of the fish from the head to the tail.
- Carefully remove the bones from the fish, leaving the fillets intact.
- Season the inside of the fillets with salt and pepper.
- Spread the filling over one fillet, leaving a border around the edges.
- Place the other fillet on top of the filling, press the edges together to seal the paupiette.
- Secure the paupiette with toothpicks or twine.
- The paupiette can be grilled, sautéed, or baked.
Note: Paupiette is French word which means “little package” referring to fish fillet rolled and stuffed with some filling before cooking.